AHF Marks ‘International Condom Day’ (Feb 13th) with Worldwide Events
AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF) will mark the International Condom Day—an informal holiday observed in conjunction with Valentine’s Day, February 14—with free condom distribution and safer sex awareness events, and media campaigns across 39 cities in 13 countries over the days and nights around the weekend holiday.
The following events will be among the many activities that AHF will be hosting to commemorate the International Condom Day around the world:
– Miami Beach, USA – A biplane towing a 50 foot long ad banner over South Beach in Florida, promoting ‘International Condom Day’ will kick off a daytime condom giveaway to the brunch crowds along the bustling Ocean Drive.
– Kenya, South Africa and Swaziland – Special ‘Love Condom’ billboards will promote condom giveaways and testing events in each of these three countries.
– Phnom Penh, Cambodia – Volunteers will distribute 130,000 free condoms at entertainment establishments, nightclubs and city parks.
– Veracruz, Mexico – The condom distributions events in Veracruz and six other Mexican locations will draw the public and media attention because of the date’s proximity to Carnival, a popular annual event in Veracruz and throughout Mexico.
– Moscow, Russia – The distribution of free condoms and HIV prevention materials will take place at popular nightclubs, discos, universities, movie theaters and will also include free HIV testing.
– Kiev, Ukraine – Condom and testing events will take place in 18 cities on February 13 and 14.
“After 25 years of AIDS, we have largely failed in HIV prevention, and that is something that can, and must change,” said Terri Ford, AIDS Healthcare Foundation’s Senior Director of Global Policy and Advocacy. “Our LOVE Condoms have struck a chord with communities around the world. Condoms are a simple, low-cost prevention method that works. Valentine’s Weekend is the perfect time to re-enforce the message to, ‘Love Yourself, Love Your Partner.’ As a non-traditional holiday, International Condom Day also offers an unorthodox, yet highly creative opportunity for groups around the world to get the word out about the importance of condom use and HIV testing. The events taking place in these countries and cities are really amazing, and I want to thank each of our dedicated and enthusiastic partners in this worldwide effort.”
Dr. Penninah Iutung Amor, Africa Bureau Chief for AIDS Healthcare Foundation said, ” While knowledge of condoms may be high, availability and easy access continues to be a key barrier to consistent condom use. We continue to advocate for condoms to be more available to the public, as condom use is an effective strategy for reducing the transmission of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections. AHF is marking International Condom Day to encourage the public to translate knowledge of HIV/AIDS and condoms into action. Let’s all embrace condom use as one of the primary strategies to reduce HIV transmission. “
AIDS Healthcare Foundation is the largest global AIDS organization which currently provides medical care and services to more than 151,000 individuals in 26 countries worldwide
Participating Countries/Cities in AHF’s International Condom Day 2011 Celebration
-West Hollywood, CA
-San Francisco, CA
-South Beach/Miami, FL
-Estado de Mexico
-Moscow and other cities
-Odessa and other cities